Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No access to the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwbviper

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
GB
Hi there,
I have installed a copy of Windows NT Workstation onto one of our old laptops. The idea behind it is so that we can take it off site for carrying out basic system diagnostics. However i am having some trouble, i am using a Xircom CreditCard Ethernet Adapter 10/100, in order to gain access to the network. I can ping the card and it is working perfectly ok, however when i try to join our domain i am given an error message informing me that i cant. If anyone has any ideas on what the problem may be and can give me some advice on how to solve it, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

1. What exactly does the message say?
2. If you connect laptop to network, and logon locally, can you actually access any shared resources on the network?
3. Are you using manual IP addresses or DHCP? Can you ping any addresses on the network from the laptop?

Sounds like you need to install NetBeui.

Kind Regards, Paul Benn

**** Never Giveup, keep trying, the answer is out there!!! ****

Hi Paul Benn, NetBeui was installed and it made no difference.

Hi Wolluf,
Cant remember exactly what the message says, but even if i logon locally i cannot access any part of the network, including files and printers etc. I am using IP addresses and i cannot ping any laptops, the only thing that can be pinged is the network card itself and it works fine.

How is the Ip Address assigned? Is it Static or DHCP?

What details are displayed if you do IPCONFIG at a Command Prompt? Kind Regards, Paul Benn

**** Never Giveup, keep trying, the answer is out there!!! ****

If your domain runs on a NT-server then your PDC must be notified that a new NT-laptop is part of the domain. With 9x or Me machines no problem but. Your laptop has to be registrated as part of the domain. Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

HI! I have run into the same problem. We have a cooperation with an other company. Rare, maybe once in two months somebody from that company came to us, with a Laptop, which has the same NIC (Xircom). Each time we spend several hours trying different settings to make our LAN "visible" to it, but no joy. Every time uninstalling and reinstalling TCP-IP solved the problem. So lately we begin with this, and everything is OK. Don't ask me why! There is always an explanation!
But maybe we don't know it.
The truth is out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back