Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No access to shares and printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

elrub2

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
Windows NT workstation sp6. The shares and printer(hp laserjet 6p) were accessible, now they are not. I am able to access resources on the network from this workstation, but when I try to access the resources on this workstation, from the netwrok, I get this message "Logon failure: Access denied, unable to connect".
I have checked the permissions settings for this workstation, confirmed that the server services are on, checked the ip address, setup a new share with the everyone group, with full control,....
Any suggestions?

Are you on a domain or a workgroup?
Is the guest account enabled? [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Domain with guest account disable, however, printer permission list the following:
Administrator FULL CONTROL
Creator Owner Manage
Everyone Print
Server Operator Full
Domain/Administrator Full
Authenticated users Print
and then some individual users with various permissions.

I tried to use the NET USE command to connect to this workstation "net use \\computername", the responce was "\\computername is not accessible
Logon Failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

I just don't get it.

Are the Server, Workstation, Netlogon (etc..) services started on that printer box? [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Here is the list of services that are started on this workstation:
Computer Browser, eventlog, netlogon, RPC service, Server, Simple tcp/ip, spooler, task scheduler, tcp/ip netbios, workstation.

I have unshared, reshared all the shares, wondering what else I can do.

I ran into this same problem recently. If anyone has any ideas please pass them on to me I'd appreciate it.

Sounds like a policy type thing (do not allow access to this machine from the network). In 2k you can set this from gpedit.msc - I'm not on NT machine currently, and can't remember what you can set with policy editor - though User manager has ability to add/remove functionality to groups (including access from network), so its possible somebody has removed it from all groups on that machine).

I had a similar problem on my WinNT WS 4.0 machine.

The solution was this (as hinted by wolluf):
- open User Manager
- open Policies|User Rights
- select the "Access this computer from network" right
- add the users/groups who should have access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back