Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NNPAGENT must be loaded to restore non-netware partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trebor666

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2003
GB
I am trying to restore some files that were on our Windows NT 4 server which had been backed up by ARCServe 9 for windows. I am trying to restore them using our Netware server but I am getting the following error: "NNPAGENT must be loaded to restore non-netware partition". which is then followed by the error "E3199 Cannot restore NT's session" I can not use the Windows NT Server to restore it as it is currently down hence the restore to the Netware server.

After failing to do that I then tried to restore via an ARCserve agent to another windows PC, but that is also causing an error: "E1146 Failed to connect to Workstation @ 10.0.0.7 - Is Agent Loaded." the agent is loaded and I and I can see that PC from the restore screen from ARCserve Manager and browse it so the Agent must be working.

What is the NNPAGENT and how do I load it? Why is the restore failing through the agent?

the data can not be restored to a NetWare server, it must be restored to a Windows system.

I think NNPAGENT is part of the Disaster Recovery Option. I don't use the DRO myself, so I can't be sure. It was around in ARCserve 6.x and 7. If NNPAGENT still exists, you can't tell from anything searchable on the CA site. If it doesn't exist in ARCserve 9 and later, I don't know why it's still referenced in the error messages.

I had the same thing happen trying to restore from a Win2K backup to NetWare using ARCserve 11.1. I had the same luck finding this NNPAGENT as you did.

ARCserve can't be used for data migration. Since it's a backup, it is filesystem-aware, and has filesystem-specific rights/permissions saved on the backup for the system it backed up. It's not just a file copy.

As davidmichel indicated, if you back up Windows, you restore to Windows, and so on for whatever other system you back up.

You won't be able to restore from a NetWare backup to Windows, either.

It sure would be nice if Computer Associates would tell us how to get at backed-up data from obsolete sources, wouldn't it? If the DRO will do it, then say so, CA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back