Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nmbd probs (Linux samba), "no service is operating.." client msg

Status
Not open for further replies.

iguanasleep

Programmer
Feb 27, 2003
US
Samba server on Linux 2.2.5, client is Windows 2000 & NT.

I've made it successfully thru DIAGNOSIS.txt steps 1-7. However on both 8 & 9 a no-go on connecting to the shares. The message is one I've not seen with any previous attempts to connect to my other samba servers:
"No service is operating at the destination network endpoint on the remote system".

As per the log.nmbd on log level 3, it's indicating an inabilitiy to connect to the WINS server, however I've tried it with 2 different WINS servers we have and also successfully pinged both from the samba box. here's seg from the log.nmbd:
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:register_name_timeout_response(199)
register_name_timeout_response: WINS server at address 10.89.50.250 is not responding

Other i'net searches have hinted at nmbd needing to be "fixed" with no clues given as to how to do that.

btw...the samba server actually does show up in Network Neighborhood. Trying to open it from here results in the same "No service..." error msg.

huge thnx to anyone who posts responses to this....
chris

ok, found the solution - what a bonehead I am, can you tell I'm a Linux newbie? It was the default firewall of course. just turned it off and suddenly samba worked beautifully. now i just need to go back and tweak the firewall so that samba traffic can get thru with the firewall up.

chris

Doh! I'm a bonehead too! Thanks for the tip on the firewall!

Randall

Hey I'm a bonehead who would like to know what change needs to be made at the firewall to allow samba traffic to pass thru. Hopefully someon here experienced this problem on a linksys network.
Any response is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back