Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NLS on Client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesWeb

Programmer
Jan 14, 2002
NZ
Hi I’m having a problem with SQL Loader. I’m running a 8i client and trying to connect to a 7.3 database on another computer in the network ( I have mapped that network drive to E:).

I am unable to run par-files I created to upload data, on my new computer which is a P4 with Win 2000 however it did run on the NT4 the db is on machine.

The error message I get is:
E:\GIS Tools\NZ\SQLLoad\Update>sqlldr parfile=complace_ins.par
SQL*Loader: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Mon Feb 11 08:36:19 2002(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation.
All rights reserved.SQL*Loader-282: Unable to locate character set handle for character set ID (0).

The parfile has the following parameters:
data=E:\NZ\Data\32_CPNUpdate_080005_31Jan2002\nz_com_ins.dat
log=E:\NZ\Data\32_CPNUpdate_080005_31Jan2002\Logs\complace_ins.log
bad=E:\NZ\Data\32_CPNUpdate_080005_31Jan2002\Logs\complace_ins.bad
discard=E:\NZ\Data\32_CPNUpdate_080005_31Jan2002\Logs\complace_ins.dis
control=complace_ins.ctl
userid=db/password@envrio
But when I check the log file it only just gets to the end of the table names and crashes out before any data is inserted. Does anyone have any idea's I'm really lost!!

I think I have tracked down the problem to a difference in the client and server side NLS values. How do I change the NLS values on the client side? I have code to do it in UNIX:% setenv NLS_SORT FRENCH (or similar)But I need to do it in windows and want it to be hard coded preferably.Anyone got any ideas?

well, I like unix too
Have you looked at NLS_LANG into your HOME <number > in the registry ?
my default is something like
>>
AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
<<
which states that my default character set is WE8ISO8859P1.
Im *not* using sql*loader but *if* it behaves like export/import the good rule is to
- exp same charset as db ( doesnt matter much ?, but perhaps easier to remember ;-)
- imp same charset as file then Oracle has to map.
This can mean a lot on exp/imp because imp doesnt check first bytes to determine charset of exp-file.
Hope this gives U a way too look, use metalink too.
regards
SteenB

Hey thanks Steen,
I have Changed the registry setting of NLS_LANG in the HOME0 directory with no luck. I checked the sever settings and checked they were that the same, however when I call the settings in my Oracle session they do not appear for some unknow reason.

I'm pretty sure your right and its a proplem with the charset.

By the way how do I use Metalink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back