Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NISPLUS - Replica server unavailable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

netmind5109

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
US
Can any tell me what to look for to determine why the following output appears:

sidap1-ROOT>>> nisping
Pinging replicas serving "directory sidap1.org." :
Master server is "sidap1.sidap1.org."
Last update occurred at Thu Aug 22 09:29:41 2002

Replica server is "sidap2.sidap1.org."
Unavailable.

I can do niscat on the hosts.org_dir file and I do see sidap2. I also access the sidap2 machine and I can see the same with niscat, also it seems the same processes are running on the master and the replica machine? Any help would be appreciated.

it could be it has never been checkpointed ...

try doing a nisping -C ... and see if that helps :)

jad

I just ran nisping -C and here is the output:

sidap1-ROOT>>> nisping -C
Checkpointing replicas serving directory "sidap1.org." :
Last update occurred at Thu Aug 22 09:29:41 2002

checkpoint scheduled on "sidap1.sidap1.org.".
Replica server is "sidap2.sidap1.org."
nisping: RPC error on server sidap2.sidap1.org., error RPC: Authentication error
checkpoint failed : Error in RPC subsystem

there should be a message in syslog on either the master or secondary explaining (at least slightly) what is going on.

a possibility is that you have a network problem (from google search) if you use 3com cards ...

could be the secondary is not authenticated you would need to keylogin and chkey the secondary.

if all else fails you could re-nisclient the secondary and then turn it into a backup nis server again following the instructions.

Jon

Jad,

I was able to remove the replica and restart a process on the replica. Then I rebuilt the replica with the nisserver command. Then the nisping now works.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back