Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIS and Automount problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwichman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
Just configured an AIX box as an NIS client. It works because i can log in ok however it doesnt automount my home directory as i was expecting it to. It dumps me in /home/guest instead.. the message i see is as follows:

3004-614 Unable to change directory to "/home/gwichman".
You are in "/home/guest" instead.

i'm not really sure how to troubleshoot this or why NIS/automount aren't working together. i did go into smit to start the automount daemon and that appears to work be running at least. An lssrc also confirms it's active.

Appreciate any help in troubleshooting this

Hi,

Whether u have added automaster & autohome stanzas in NIS server and the automaster & autohome files in the client..

Refer IBM Network Information services Guide

The autmounter is NOT automatically configured through the NIS-Master, there are a few things to do to let the client get the automounttables over NIS.

I would like to emphasize to read the NIS documentation, but here is a short How-To:
1) Save the NIS master /var/yp/Makefile
2) Edit the Makefile acc. to Doc:"Maintaining automountmaps via NIS". DO NOT HAVE Spaces at the beginning of a line, but tabs. IMPORTANT
3)run make with NOPUSH=1 to avoid errors on the NIS-slaves
This was the server. Now comes the client
4)Create on each client /etc/auto_master mit Entry "+auto_master"
5) Same with /etc/auto.direct with entry "+auto.direct"
6)Activate the automounter in /etc/rc.nfs
# Begin AutoFS startup ## Do NOT remove
if [ -x /etc/auto_master ];then
/usr/sbin/automount
fi
# End AutoFS startup ## Do NOT remove

should run

Regards

mad

I'm a bit confused. I'm not setting up a Master or slave. Just an NIS client.. The Master is a solaris box. i'm not sure why my AIX box (an NIS client) isn't automounting and i'm not sure hwo to troubleshoot why. Can you point me to the NIS documentation?

The pieces seem to be running and in place. NFS, Automount, NIS, etc. I can manually mount the exported home directory from the server that has them so i suspect it's not an NFS problem.

new information.. if i remount /home as something else (/home.local), the automounter works fine. For some reason since there's already a /home mount point, automount doesnt want to mount home dir's there.

Why is this? Whats the appropriate way to deal with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back