Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIS 2002 blocked communications ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxw

Programmer
Jul 24, 2001
CA
Hi,

Hope I'm in the right place. Plz redirect me if I'm not, k?

I can send my emails if I disable NIS 2002 and NAV still functions.

I'd like to try to configure NIS for my email prog. Blocking communication to my server error message, I use OutLook Express :(

thank you,
mxw

~Eeegads~

Well, did you click on the main NIS (globe in tray), the personal firewall and then Internet Access Control? You should be able to allow Outlook Express there.

Hi Luckyfour,

Yes I did. And tried again, got this error message :(
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Mail Account', Server: 'smtp.xxxxxxxx.xxx', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
What am I doing wrong?
And my server keeps telling me to just disable NIS when I use OutLook ??? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of having a firewall?
I'll phone my server in the morning and see if anyone there can give me another suggestion too.

Thanks for your help,
mxw
~Eeegads~

How to configure your Symantec desktop Internet security or firewall product to prompt you to create firewall rules
ID:2000042514035336 (modifying firewall rules for specific ports) Note, you may want to find out what port 25 is before doing that. I also saw on Symantec, something about FTP ports (20 and 21 I think) so you could do a search about that if you find out it's to do with those ports. You don't want to open a port that might allow a trojan.

Have you written to the Symantec help board? Might be worth trying.

>Have you written to the Symantec help board? Might be worth trying<

Okay thanks for the suggestion
mxw ~Eeegads~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back