Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIm restore hangs on 608 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

odey

Technical User
May 19, 2000
GB
Hi Guys

I am trying to restore a mksysb, to a nim client (43p 140), but each time i netboot the client, it gets to 608 and keeps flashing. The client definition is setup approriately, and the nim server is setup to the best of our ability. I have checked the flasshing 608 led error and it indicated the client is trying to get the client.info file in /tftpboot on the server. I have checked bootpd and tftpd are running on both client and server, checked the /etc/tftpaccess.ctl file and the /tftpboot is set to allow, I have also updated the the client firmware which is a "43p 140" to the latest. If any one has an idea, on how to resolve this problem, i will be most grateful.

thanks In advance

This may be a firmware glich - see below

This is a problem with the firmware: it does not take changes from the graphical console.

Workaround:

Do a debug install and check the output of bootinfo -c to see if the sms is sending the wrong subnetmask. In one case, sms was passing 255.255.255.0 when the the subnetmask is supposed to be 255.255.240.0.

Use the ASCII terminal instead of the graphical console. Disconnect the graphical console and, in the sms menu, remove the subnetmask and retype it.

Then the install should proceed fine, passing 608.

Permanent solution:

Upgrade to the latest firmware of 43p - 140.

Firmware for the 140 can be downloaded from IBM from

Chris Martin
pSeries Consultant

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply, I have tried netbooting the 43p in debug mode by attaching an ascii console. It gets to the point where i enter the enter_dbg value 2, and it stops at displaying AIX 4 3 3. Left it for a while but no joy. I have installed the latest firmware, which is TIG02316, still no joy. I am not sure if 43p 140 are supported for nim install, is there a website i could check to verify this.

Thanks A lot

Tony

Yes I am vantandem

thanks

Odey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back