Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIM: Install 4.3.3 on p610

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoffTorres

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
Hi,

I've just setup a NIM server on an AIX 5.2.
I'm trying to install 4.3.3 over the network on a pseries 610. I've installed the latest maintenance patch bundles on both the server and the NIM 4.3.3 lpp source as well as upgraded the firmware revisions. It boots the TFTP image just fine, but the install kernel can't find any disks to install on. Installing 5.2 works as expected, so I'm certain that there's not a hardware issue going on. My best guess is that the 4.3.3 install image does not have the correct HW drivers. How can I find the correct drivers and get them into the install image?

Thanks for any pointers,

Geoff

We have experience some issues with the P610 SCSI disks. Check to make sure you have this FRU number 09P4447 and ROS ID at 43353042. We had all of our SCSI disks replaced.

What kind of problems were you experiencing?

Were they DOA or just wouldn't work with AIX 4.3.3?

Thanks,

Geoff

suspect incorrect SPOT and lppsource?

IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

Well, I just updated the microcode on the drives and that didn't help. I rebuilt the lpp_source and spot for AIX 4.3.3 and verified that it works for a 43P. But it still won't work for the p610s.

I still think I'm faced with a driver issue with the network boot install kernel. How do you get the latest drivers built into the network boot image?

I'm very new to NIM administration, so don't feel like you'll hurt my feelings by suggesting something obvious. :)

Thanks,

Geoff

OK. Problem solved.

It was simply a case of us not having the latest 4.3.3 CDs. It turns out that the SCSI Ultra 3 cards are not supported until the 09/2001 version (LCD4-0286-07). Obtaining and creating the SPOT with this version took care of the problem.

Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back