Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIM error, fishing for clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yegolev

Technical User
Oct 1, 2001
US
seen this once before, it was on a loaner box so i never did much investigation. doing a NIM install using a AIX5 image over an existing AIX433 installation, not a migration but an overwrite. at the end of the overmount phase, the console is constantly displaying the stanza below. i'll be working on this some later but perhaps someone out there has a quick hint.

Could not load program /usr/bin/sh:
Symbol resolution failed for /usr/ccs/lib/libc.a(shr.o) because:
Symbol getvtid (number 258) is not exported from dependent
module /unix.
Examine .loader section symbols with the 'dump -Tv' command.

IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

Before we dig down too deep, have you tried doing a fresh install via CD first? Since its completed the overmount phase, what happens after that? Can you get to a log in prompt, or does it just hang? Have you tried rebooting the box and seeing what happens?

Also when doing the NIM install, are you pushing a mksysb or what?

What kind of box are you trying to NIM?

Regards-

last time this happened, a mksysb install from tape (using image from the same source machine) worked just fine, so i am very sure a CD install would work as well. i know that i'm going to have to load this sucker using 8mm (or worst-case, base 5.1 CDROM then NIM install source mksysb again), but having worked over 24 hours this weekend on performing AIX upgrades it's two companion S7A's, i'm not terribly enthusiastic about it. =)

after overmount completion, the console is spammed with the above stanza, no indication that AIX starts at all. system unresponsive and internal boot image is hosed; this symptom repeats when booting from the targeted hdisk and when booting from the ethernet (NIM).

source and target hardware are S7A/S70. the NIM is intended to perform a system clone, so we are pushing a mksysb, lppsource and spot. of course i am pushing 5.1 levels while the target is a 4.3.3.0-09 system, so i think i really should just avoid that sort of thing until i get this root cause identified. or even after.

i'm going to have to get the NIM book. =) thanks for your time.

Do you have a /usr/local directory in your current environment? If you don’t this is the cause of your problem. When you move to AIX 5.1 it uses /usr/local as a working directory. /usr/local cannot be a link either. Let me know….Vantandem

this is a bug in bos.rte.libc 5.1.0.35 and is fixed by IY35580. also fixed by ML 4 i believe. seems to occur about half the time when doing a NIM install of a 5.1 image.

vantandem... we have a local /usr/local directory. we use a different dir as our "common binary" nfs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back