Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIM cloning always fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

polani

Instructor
Jun 4, 2003
CA
Guys

I am trying to do a mksysb restore on target Lpar which is almost similar to source Lpar. When i say almost , it means that rootvg disk size is exactly same.

When i try to restore through NIM on target Lpar , i am successfull in reaching up to mksysb restoration menus.. meaning that target Lpar as NIM client boots successfully and get mksysb resources ( allocated to it), however process stops saying that it is unable to find a disk of 22480 which was present on source sytem..so mksysb restoration can not continue

I tried with same size disks as well as larger size disks on target lpar , but it always fail with same error... Does it related to " Recover devices " option on mksysb screen? Should i set it to no ? I already tried with shrink filesystemm option as well but it also did not work.

Please advice

Thanks

Here comes polani Once again!!!

See my personal blogs at
for unique solutions and tips on AIX, Linux,Storage and TSM.

Had the source LPAR rootvg mirrored on 2 disks?

hi,

No rootvg disk is on one disk only , no rootvg mirroing at all...

That's strange thing!

Here comes polani Once again!!!

See my personal blogs at
for unique solutions and tips on AIX, Linux,Storage and TSM.

so in your case, the disk/size should not be a problem.
can;t you select the disk (in the same many where you was enabling shrinking etc.)?

can you attach the target disk to the source LPAR and clone system (alt_disk_install -C targetdisk) to the target disk with -O option and then attach the target disk back to final LPAR and boot from it?

Hi Polani
It looks like the image.data ou bosinst.data used by your Nim server contains something like that (SIZE_MB) filtering possible installation disk:
[image.dta]
source_disk_data:
PVID= 00cxxxxxxx
PHYSICAL_LOCATION= U9117.570.xxxxx-V10-C350-T1-L810000000000
CONNECTION= vscsi0//810000000000
LOCATION=
SIZE_MB= 22480
HDISKNAME= hdisk0

[bosinst.data]
target_disk_data:
...same content as above
SIZE_MB= 22480

(serial codes are xxxxxxxx)

1) Remember image.data bosinst.data are either on original mksysb, OR your can make a custom on on NIMmaster and give as parameter during install
(see man nimclient, resource allocation, or redbook

2) Workaround : in the custom image.data/SIZE_MB is the problem , just empty the field, and try other one to filter your client disk (like CONNECTION)
3) But Why are size differents, for same disk ?
a) Sometime differents commands of AIX reports differents size (lsvg -p, lsattr, bootinfo -s, lsdev -C)
b) may be the microcode sended by NIM is different from the mksysb one, so that they do not report good size ?
c) May be your HARD disk is a Virtual disk of a VIO, a SAN/LUN, and all firmware versions have different idea of size ?

Hi Polani,

If you are trying to push the bosinst.data of your NIM server, then you need to delete the lines below "target_disk" in bosinst.data file.
(take a copy before you delete)

This target device has some serial codes referred to the corresponding hdisk. So, as soon as you start push the OS from NIM server, it will try to this serial number on the client LPAR side. As your hdisk of client has different serial number, you may struck with the errors.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back