Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIM be installed on AIX 4.3.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baggetta

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
US
I would like to learn more about NIM and how it works. I have test machine with 4.3.3 on it and would like to connect a NIM server to it, is this possible? My goal here is to eventually use NIM in an HACMP Cascading Environment so there is 1 server authenticating all users regardless of which machine they are logging into. Any useful information is appriciated.

Then why did IBM suggest it? I asked them a way for allowing users to log into 1 server and have that server point to the correct IP address.

NIM is Network Installation Manager, so unless IBM was given incorrect information it is hard to believe they would have suggested it.

Anyway, are you looking for authorization or authentication?

What do you mean by, "allowing users to log into 1 server and have that server point to the correct IP address." ?

Are you wanting someone logging into say, server ABC to be redirected to log into server XYZ? DNS provides ip address resolution. LDAP is for authentication as well as Kerberos.

In WIN2000 or WIN XP,can I use rsh or rshsvc to start a script, which is on a Unix/AIX server? And how?

Thanks

adamsd, your right, I made a mastake it was NIS not NIM.
We have an HACMP cluster solution where there are 2 physical server's sharing disks. I'm looking for a solution when I change passwords, or create a new user under HACMP, that the passsword gets replicated to the other server. Currently this only happens when I use smit HACMP to create a user, and set their default password. When this happens, the current server that I'm creating the password set's the login so that they have to change it the first time they login. On the other server, if they tried to login with the new password, it doesn't see it. I cannot replicate the passwd file because of how HACMP is configured. (2 servers each one running applications, HACMP kicks in when their is a failure on one, it will change the IP address so the end user won't even know the server failed over. When this happens, its going to try and read the local passwd file on the other server, and this is where the problem lies).
I know this sounds complicated, but you'd have to understand how our HACMP configuration works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back