Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NID to the Norstar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2005
US
Not specifically tied to the Norstar persay, but...

I'm an IT admin for a company that has a Norstar CICS 6.1 with a single GS/CLID cartridge. Our receptionist noticed that Line004 went dead today after a thunderstorm. No dial tone, and calling in from the outside gets a busy signal. Checked the connection at the NID test jack and it's OK, I get a good dialtone and incoming calls to the testset ring fine. Testing at the inside CO 66 cross connect on the other side of the cable that goes to the NID, and I get nothing. Incoming calls get a busy. Hardwired a test set on the customer screw terminals of the NID, and I get a weak dialtone, can't dial any digits. Is it possible that a lightning supressor went bad on the NID after a close hit? Odd that the test jack works but the customer-side screw terminals don't? Any ideas???

Thanks!!!

That's what I orignially thought, but I've disconnected the CO line from the Norstar's CO block and plugged it into an analog phone and it still doesn't work?

If you do not have dial tone on the customer side of the nid then you need to call the telco. Yes there is a carbon block in there but you as a customer should not be even checking for dialtone on the telco side of the nid. the telco can and do get ticked when that happens and there might be some liability involved.

report the line dead at the demark to the telco.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

If you are Canadian, unscrew the carbons, if it is good report it to Bell or whoever, get the carbons changed. You will need a flat blade or a 1/2" nut driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back