Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nics stop working

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosemer

MIS
Mar 12, 2002
US
I have a compaq prolient 3000 dual 333 512 ram two smart array 2 cards and 1` compaq nic,
I formated with win2k advanced server sp2 and after a few hours the nic stops wprking. no error . have to remove it from device mananger and reinstall drivers. for it to work again.
I have formated the server twice same problem, I have installed other nics and same probelm. the pci raid cards work fine .

Hmm... Me thinks its a hardware problem. It could be the pci slot or the nic card. To be sure you have to test them separately, and if possible on another box.

Have you tried placing the compaq nic in another computer. Check it there and see how it goes. Or if you have a spare pci slot on your server can you try it there, of course you would have to reinstall the driver.

Try this one up?

Nics are good tryed them in other boxes (the 3com comes up with a rom error if I put it in another box that is not a compaq but it works in my other compaq server), and same with other slots in the server. I think it is hardware too but It is such a strange problem that I was wondering if someone else had it or if it was some option in the bios that was wrong like a sleep thing.

I fixed it, I ran the system erase utility. (yes it erases everything) I then Made sure the raid card i wanted to boot from was in the lowest pci slot, it was not. (prolient 3000 start with the lowest raid card when booting) then i ran the system configuration utility, installed the system partition created the raid arrays and loaded the os. It was up for 12 hours no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back