Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NICs fine but computer still doesn't find the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

YokyDoky

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2002
US
I'm trying to bring up an old Dell Optiplex to replace my web server. The box has an onboard NIC and a Pro 100 because it will also route the DSL. So I installed 2K server, it recognizes both NICs and reports them functioning normally, but will not see the domain. The lights are lit on the hub and NIC, everything looks "go" but's not. So I installed 2K Pro just to see. Sure enough, it doesn't find the network/domain controller either. Logged in as local, IE wont find the internet either so there's no network. No device conflicts, onboard NIC is enabled in BIOS (which is the latest for this machine), everything looks fine. I cabled up another machine using the same cat5 cable, hub port, etc, booted it up (W98), made the necessary config changes and it joined the domain with no problems. Any thoughts?

Y. Doky - "Manager" of Systems

"Leaders are like eagles - we don't have any of either here."

Maybe it's the cable. There are two kind of cables:
a standard ethernet cable when you use a hub, switch or router and
a crossover cable when you connect two computers directly.

nope, not the cat5, thanks.

NIC's.. could by anything.. I assume though your gateway and IP's are setup properly ?

What steps do you follow when you add your Optiplex to the domain?

Jason, I know you're trying to be helpful but I'm an MCSE and I'm pretty confident the computer is configured properly for tcp/ip. When attempting to add the server config to the domain it immediately throws up a "...domain is not available..." message. The Pro 100 was tested in another machine, the cat5 is a good cable. All I can conclude is it must be a motherboard issue. Just probing for some insights. Thanks for the reply

We have the same machine in our office. Using Sprint DSL and all other machines find the net and problems. But the Dell doesn't have enough memory for DSL (has 64mb). Could this be part of your problem?

Also, can you ping any other workstation? I know you're an MCSE but it never hurts to ask.

Good luck - and let us know if you find a solution.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

It has just under 300 MB of RAM. Can't ping anything because it's not finding the network. The router is also the DHCP server and works like magic. On the subject machine IPCONFIG shows 0.0.0.0

I have three other identical machines and they are just humming along on the network like good little boys and girls.

What I meant was in W2K, when you add it, did you put your domain name and then your username when it asks you to sign on (domain\username)? I have to do this at work for some but not on all...

Yeah, I try, but it's not seeing the network at all, let alone the domain controller. So neither the domain administrator account nor the domain mean anything to it. It goes back to "workgroup" because it can't find the domain name to authenticate to it.

It's not a configuration issue (in my best Arnold Schwarzenneger) "Trust me"

"A .22 caliber intellect in a .357 Magnum world."

This is an interesting one...initially I thought it might be the router/hub port...but after re-reading your post I see where that port worked fine with the 98 machine.

The first thing I would try to run down is why is the one NIC not getting an IP from DHCP? If it's configured for DHCP...then you either get a proper IP address...or you would get the private IP address of 169.254.x.x (unless of course you're on a 98 Kernel...which would give you 0.0.0.0).

Based on this, I too would guess it is the onboard NIC...have you tried to disable and add another NIC on the machine (providing you have one and have room for it?)

Also, when you ping the loopback or localhost, I am guessing it returns the 127.0.0.1 address? If not, then the TCP/IP protocol has issues....with us both being MCSE's, I am sure you have already reinstalled the TCP/IP protocol..

Have you tried to make it the only machine on the hub and see what happens?

Just some random thoughts...

Let us know what you come up with.

It has another NIC, a pci Pro 100, which works in other machines. It is enabled and using int 11, whereas the onboard 3Com is using 10. Both show to be "working properly." I've tried configuring the LAN connection on both. In as much as I installed Win 2K Pro (dual boot) I guess you could say I effectively reinstalled tcp/ip.

I am thinking about disabling the onboard NIC in the BIOS. I'll do that tonight. I initially thought it may be an issue where the existing domain controller, also a 2k server, may have been fending off another server's efforts to play, but we know the machine would be allowed to join the domain before the struggle begins and anyway, 2K ain't that way anymore. But even if that WAS the case the 2k Pro install should have joined the domain but it gives the same results as the server install. I'm stumped and since I bought this thing for $125 I'm about to pitch it rather than waste more time on it.

"A .22 caliber intellect in a .357 Magnum world."

Hi, you tried manually setting the IP ADD ? If you do that and then still you dont have an IP ADD then clearly the net card is not installed properly.

Im also MCSE, but I know its always easy to miss out the basics..

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back