Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nice to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdp

Programmer
Nov 25, 2002
GB
Does anyone know how to include tips in sub procedures. ie
Public Sub MySub(myInt as integer)

End Sub

Dim x as integer
MySub(x)

What I am trying to do is include the tips in the procedure so that it's easier for other users to understand what they need to put in.
e.g
'MySub(...x as Integer, Used for bla bla bla)

I think its something to do with the System.ComponentModel
i.e. Public Sub MySub(<Description(&quot;bla bla bla&quot;)By val x as integer)

But this does not seem to work... Does anyone know what to do about it?

C# has XML documentation that is generated when you type &quot;///&quot;. VB.NET will be getting this feature in Whidbey, the next release of Visual Studio.

In the meantime, you'll either have to type it manually, or write an add-in or macro that will automate it for you.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Here are a couple of solutions:

Microsoft XML Documenation Tool
This tool will give you an outside means of adding documenation to your libraries. It's free, but the documentation has to be maintained seperately from your source code, so it can be a bit burdensome.

VB.NET XML Commentor
This is a Visual Studio .NET Add-in that allows you to use C# style xml comments in your source code. This tool is currently in beta, and I don't know how well it performs. It works by extracting the xml comments and building an xml comment file just prior to compiling in Visual Studio. I assume that this means that if you use this tool you will no longer be able to use commandline compilation on vb.net source files that include xml comments. You would have to verify this though. The other issue is that this tool is currently free while in beta, but will require an unspecified licensing fee once the product hits release 1.0.

Thanks. It all seems like too much hard work, i'll give it a go though.

Here is another tool that I happened upon today. This is a Visual Studio 2003 Addin for VB.NET that is like the VB.NET XML Commentor, but is open source, free, and part of the Microsoft PowerToys for Visual Studio 2003 tools. Follow the link below to the PowerToys main page, and look for VB Commenter. Check this site out for some other great tools.

Thanks for the heads up on the gotdotnet.com/team/ide. there's a lot of good stuff there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back