Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC Teaming 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBONE917

Programmer
Oct 21, 2004
US
im new to this forum and couldnt find where i should post this... i am trying to use fail over for a server by putting two NIC cards in the server... the only problem is that the software we run is IP specific meaning I would like these two cards to share an IP address. Ive read some sites that say NIC teaming, or creating a virtual adapter out of 2 to 8 physical adapters, is the solution to put the two cards on the same subnet with the same IP address. Pretty much if one card fails, I want the other to be active with the same IP address. The computers will be running Windows 2000. Any suggestions are welcome

Look again. A teaming feature is limited to only a small selection of network adapters on the market, and is not a feature of Win2k client at all:
There are router solutions available with fault-tolerant fallback to a secondary broadband connection, or even I believe dial-up or ISDN. Please do not make a common mistake and have both broadband connections from the same ISP.

I understand that only a certain number of adapters on the market support teaming which I presume you mean that they have software built in to handle it; however, I am trying to get a better understanding of NIC teaming and see if writing our own software to stay on top of the TCP/IP stack is possible. Ive looked on the web and I havent found much about it. I agree the router is the obvious solution and our current configuration has one. Right now, the computer is connected to a router which is connected to two Gigabit Ethernet switches. I am only seeing if its possible to lose the "middle man" and use NIC teaming to connect directly to the Gigabit Ethernet switches. If there are any good books or sites regarding NIC teaming, please post.

I've done a LOT of research lately on this topic too.

There are several different types of "teaming" that are possible. Unfortunately they're all called something ELSE by different vendors, unless you ask for 802.3ad Link aggregation. 802.3ad I think is a preferred method but it's fairly new (1-2 yrs). Software on the server's side is DEFINATELY a key to making this work.

General ones:
Failover - two nics, one is LIVE and fails over with the same settings to the 2nd NIC if the first one fails.

Load Balance - Two nics, one sends the other receives (Pay careful attention to MAC/ARP related issues!!!)

Switch/Server Load Balanced - (Compaq's term is Switch assisted load balancin - SLB) - The switch decides based on it's built in algorithm which packet goes to which NIC. 802.3ad I think uses SA/DA (Sender Address/Destination Address.)

Here are some additional websites:

A bit older info but still worth the reading:

Hope this helps.

if you want to have a FAIL SAFE for your nics then i think the interface metric is what your looking for. the lower the number the higher the priority of the card.
EXAMPLE:
2 nics
both with the same IP info {IP address, subnet mask, etc, etc}
the interface metric of nic 1 is set at 1
the interface metric of nic 2 is set at some other number like 2 or 5 or 10 or 50.
if nic 1 fails then nic 2 should pick up the connection.
to change the metric of the interface , do this:
1)right click MY NETWORK PLACES, select properties.
2)right click LOCAL AREA CONNECTION 1, select properties.
3)highlite TCP/IP and click the PROPERTIES BUTTON.
4)click the ADVANCED button.
5)there should be an option listed for METRIC or INTERFACE METRIC. uncheck AUTOMATIC METRIC if listed as such and then just add the numbers as mentioned above.
6)change the IPadrressing info to match on both nics and you should be set.
CHECKING IT:
disable LOCAL AREA CONNECTION 1 and see if your still connected. {right click MY NETWORK PLACES and select properties/ right click LOCAL AREA CONNECTION 1 and select DISABLE}
go here for a bit more info:
good luck
AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back