Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nic Teaming on proliant server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaapvs

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
NL
We are having some problems in creating a Nic-team with Broadcom (HP) advanced server program.
Mode=IEEE 802.3ad.
What I see = First Nic: link status = up, aggregating yes
second Nic: link status = up, aggregating No.
Anyone knows why the second Nic is not aggregating and also not functioning when first Nic is unplugged.
network cards HP7781 (q57.lan)
Virtual adapter =qasp.lan / protocol =qasp1
switch =4924(3com) ports to nics are link aggregate members.

When I change the mode to SLB, I get a lot of pingdrops.

Well I am not at work right now so it's a little harder now to post the config.
If your suggestion is to put TCPIP.nlm and/or odineb.nlm before loading the initsys.ncf, I already tried that.
If not, could you be a bit more elaborate?
Tia.

No that's not my suggestion, but I'd like to see what you are already doing, otherwise its very difficult to make any recommendation at all.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

ok but since the configuration of the Nic-teaming is done (for 90%) using inetcfg, the autoexec.ncf contains very little info on this issue. Certainly nothing to solve this.
I tried some different cables, different drivers (basp instead of qasp), newer drivers, changing the switch ports to default (no tagging ports), that kind of stuff.
I might put some initsys.ncf, netinfo.cfg and some switch port info here, if you think you can help me with this?

Maybe that's your problem. Usually when I see teaming done with a vendor specific app, everything is done in autoexec, not inetcfg. It might be that you are unable to control the sequence of events with inetcfg like you can with inetcfg, so you never get exactly what you want.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Marvin,

Yoy might be preaching to the choir here. I too feel that having total control over configuration files instead of these dynamically created ones, is creating a much more reliable environment. However the configuration is done in the way that Novell recommends here.
According to support.novell: "INETCFG is the utility on NetWare to enable and configure various protocol stacks and network interfaces, and to bind the protocols to the network interfaces. This utility also provides a framework that allows a NIC teaming configuration."
If you google Nic Teaming Novell, you will see the docs pointing to inetcfg.
The configuration here is as described by this Novell Coolsolutions document So I don't really go for your suggestion, that the configuration here is creating the problem. Unless you have some solid evidence that this may be the case.

Regards,
Jaap

i agree with marv
i always do the teams through autoexec and i've never had a problem

[COLOR=red yellow] "So I don't really go for your suggestion, that the configuration here is creating the problem. Unless you have some solid evidence that this may be the case." [/color]

I haven't even given you a suggestion yet.. You have never answered my question. You came here to this forum asking for advice, and you still have not provided any information as to what your configuration is. The first thing I did was ask about your config, and you still haven't provided it. And then you say you don't like our suggestions anyway. Why are you even here? I like helping people that will listen to suggestions and are grateful for my advice.. Especially when it helps them solve a problem they are having challenges with. But nobody on here gets paid to provide advice, and we certainly have better things to do that deal with your attitude. I don't even let paying customers treat me like that. Don't ask me for advice and then tell me the advice is no good unless I can provide "Proof" that it will fix it. That's just rude. Maybe you could call Novell and insult them too.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back