Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC teaming, good or bad for exch2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaccaz

MIS
Aug 10, 2005
HK
Hi there,

For exchange2003 server running on branded server hardware such as HP, if network card teaming (of 2 nics) a good option for exchange2003 or not?

How do you guys doing? Just using 1 nic or what?

Many thanks!

Zaccaz,

Teaming is ALWAYS a good idea, as it provides availability or faster throughput (depending on the configuration used in the teaming software)

Exchange server has no limits or known issues by the use of teaming as far as I've experienced...

Regards,

Peter

Another question you should ask, do you need it? I support 2500 users on each of our Exchange servers with (1) 1G NIC. These are somewhat busy users too. Use PerfMon to monitor your server for awhile and look at your traffic patterns for your server(s).

I have a couple files servers that our Datacom group can't get us 1G connections to. We have teamed several 100M NICs on these servers. We use separate NICs for each link, so if one fails we don't lose the whole link. (And that has happened once for us)

I have two HP 1Gig NICS teamed and both cables into a
Netgear GIG switch with large frames.
Its still slow syncing O2003 folders.

Oh well.
its an access database after all....

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back