Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC Teaming and Load Balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

faceh

MIS
Jul 17, 2001
US
Windows 2000 has a feature that allows you to team 2 NICS together, but all the documentation that MS has references clusters with NLB or Load Balancing. Currently I have a VPN server with 3 NIC'S I'm trying to team 2 of them and 1 will be my static connection to a DSL line. I'm using Link Sys NICS and they don't have their own teaming utility. Any ideas or step by step docs on how to team 2 nic together with Windows network load balancing. (When you team Intel's Nics together they use 1 ip address for load load balancing and create a seperate wan miniport) In windows 2000 software both links stay alive and you have to assign different IP'S so it's not really load balancing it.

I've been teaming with Adaptec 4 port cards. All we've done is installed the cards. Gone into N/W places, properties. Selected 1 of the connections off 1 card, properties, click configure, set a group name, group type =failover. Repeat for a port on the other card, choosing same name. Set up 1 of the cards with an IP address and 1 set to DHCP. It works for us. Don't know if this exactly answers your question? Hope it's some help though.
Cheers
Alfie

where do you get this option to add a group name and change to fail over? All I see is the option in Win2k for Network Load Balancing and if I check it on one connection and then I goto do the second nic and the first one gets unchecked. I think your adaptec cards may have this functionality built in. If anyone has any more info please help.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back