Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC Speed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sendhilk

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2001
US

Hi,
How can i check the Speed at which my NIC is connected. I haven't added any entries for the NIC's or done any changes to the /etc/system , so i guess it is on auto negotiate. I want to know what speed the NIC has picked up after reboot.. is there a way i can find this out.

Thanks,
Sendhil

As root, use the ndd command as follows:

# ndd -get /dev/hme0 link_speed
results will be either 0 or 1 (0=10mb, 1=100mb)

# ndd -get /dev/hme0 link_mode
results will be either 0 or 1 (0=half duplex, 1=full duplex)

I believe that all the lance cards (leX) are 10/half.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Hi Pgsmith
How to find whether auto negotiation is enabled or Disbaled .

Thanks
Naveen

Hi there,

If you want a list of parameters which you can check or adjust with ndd you can query the module-in-question like this:

ndd /dev/hme \?

This will get you all parameters for that module.
You can also check /dev/tcp /dev/ip and more

Add this to your /etc/system to run a hme0 in full 100Mbps at full duplex with autoneg off.

set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=1
set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_10fdx_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_10hdx_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap=0

Change the 0 or 1 in which speed you want.

Cheers

--------------------------------------------
"I know the dark delight of being strange; The penalty of difference in the crowd; The loneliness of wisdom among fools . . . "

Claude McKay (1889-1984)

one extra word of wisdom.

The order in which these settings are changed is important because you could loose connectivity if you do it wrong.

Thanks a lot everybody for the information

Cheers
Naveen

Hi Bluedevil,

Is this so ?
Does that order have to be respected ?

In what way then, does the 1 (enabled) have to be on top, or does the 100fdx,100hdx,10fdx,10hdx,autoneg_cap order have to be respected ?

I

take a look at docs.sun.com and search about hme.conf or qfe.conf with parameters for each instance !

It's possible to write on /kernel/drv/qfe.conf
like :
name="SUNW,qfe" parent="/pci@1f,2000/pci@1" unit-address="0,1" adv_100T4_cap=0 adv_100fdx_cap=0 adv_100hdx_cap=0 adv_10fdx_cap=1 adv_10hdx_cap=0 adv_autoneg_cap=0;
name="SUNW,qfe" parent="/pci@1f,2000/pci@1" unit-address="1,1" adv_100T4_cap=0 adv_100fdx_cap=0 adv_100hdx_cap=0 adv_10fdx_cap=1 adv_10hdx_cap=0 adv_autoneg_cap=0;

informations come from "grep qfe /etc/path_to_inst

regards
Andy

If you lock the system to 100mb FDX make sure to lock switch ports to 100mb FDX too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back