Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC just stops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello,
I have win2k server installed on my computer. The problem is that after a bit of network traffic and a short period of everything going fine the card just stops working. The network icon i have in the system tray says that no packets have been sent, which is crap because it said 10000 or something about a minute before. I have tried other network cards, reinstalling windows, updated drivers, service packs, everything!!!! and the problem remains the same. This makes me think it is a motherboard issue, like the PCI bridge or something (box has 3 PCI no ISA slots). The network card is the only PCI card installed. Anyone got any ideas? eg. could the PCI bridge be over-heating??? Any programs to test the chipset or PCI bridge? Any other ways to test?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much!!!
-scott...:)

Do you have the option to set the speed of the card e.g. 100mbits full duplex, 10mbits half duplex or auto etc.

If you do, it might be worth checking this.

Hello,
Yes i do have that option. What do you recommend i set it to? At the moment it is set to auto...
thanks

I changed the setting to 100mb/s full duplex and it still had the same problem. I don't think that is the problem, i am beginning to suspect power management or some other stupid windows "feature"...haha
Thanks anywayz

There is indeed a setting in the properties of my network places and the configuration of the card that will allow you to disable windows ability to put the NIC to sleep. Personally I don't trust MS or even worse, Win2K at all. I shut these 'features' off the second I do an install.

Also you may want to look into SP2 and the plethora of other miraculous MS 'enhancements' to Win 2K as a sidenote. I pray you have a broadband connection for that endeavor.

On the hardware side you haven't mentioned the pieces you are using(mobo, NICm etc.) so it's hard to recommend bios/eprom flashes or driver updates. There are also a few occurances as of late with certain NIC's seeming to have a hard time with certain Mobo's(eg. Netgear FA311 & Abit KG7)

Hope this helps

My motherboard is a Rhino 810s-MATX board. The Network card is an Intel PRO/100+ Management Adaptor.
I have already ventured down the service pack path and installed service pack 2 and all the critical updates and everything like that. Latest drivers have also been installed and everything like that. Also another network adaptor (a Netgear one) was swapped with the Intel one to have exactly the same error. This points to a motherboard problem yes? I am getting quite annoyed. I am yet to try BIOS updates but the computer runs fine while off the network so the problem lies in the PCI bridge or something would you agree? That is all i can think of. I don't know of a way to test the PCI bridge independently, do you? Or to update it?
Thanks heaps for any help,

About the settings I would use:

First:
I would have used auto, like what you had it on.

Second:
If this failed, I would then use the lowest settings and worked my way up until I got to the best I could e.g.
1st 10mbits Half Duplex
2nd 10mbits Full Duplex
3rd 100mbits Half Duplex
4th 100mbits Full Duplex

Like you say though, this may have nothing to do with your problem.

I can't really think of anything, but if I do, I'll post it...

Hi,

You may have already tried these but ... Have you put the NIC into one of the other PCI slots and made sure it's seated correctly? Do you have another machine you can test the NIC in? Is your NIC on the HCL for Win2K? Have you checked the web to see if this is a known issue between the NIC and Win2k?

Hope you get it sorted.

RayWilson

Hey,
- Yes i have tried all 3 PCI slots
- I have an identical box with the same NIC and M/B and it works fine.
- The network card is meant to work with windows 2000.
-Trust me i have consulted the google oracle many many times...hehe

I have decided to just replace the motherboard. Hopefully that will fix the problem!!!
Thanks everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back