Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spamzy

ISP
Dec 9, 2004
US
NIC was working fine on 95 - did a clean OEM install of 98 - NIC no longer works - removed card and reinstalled - goes thru driver install just fine but then look in device manager and it has the red X - open properties - code 22 - enable the card - X goes away but when look at driver info nothing is there and card does not appear in Network icon - update drivers again - same issue

booted to safe mode - removed card - powered down - removed card from pci slot one - did a normal boot - powered down - reinstalled card back to slot one - went thru install process again - same issue

did safe mode removal 2 more times and tried the other 2 slots - same issue - put card back on the middle slot

msinfo32 shows nothing else is on IRQ 10 except the PCI controler so dont think its an IRQ issue but not sure what else to try

went to Belkin website to see if there is a newer driver to use but can not find any (site confusing)but NIC is brand new so doubt it anyway and worked on 95 so driver should work on 98 right?

any suggestions are appricated

It sounds like a bad card. Return it for replacement to the retailer.

used my super high speed dial up modem and went to Belkin website and downloaded drivers - which were last updated 2002 - which fixed the issue - doesnt make sence that a brand new card I bought at Comp USA a month ago would be packaged with old drivers - oh well - problem fixed thx

Makes you wonder how long these cards are on the shelf!

I recently added a wireless card to a PIII Win98SE machine and I wasn't very pleased with it, so I went back to the Ethernet cable but it didn't work. It was the original NIC. I pulled the wireless NIC and its drivers, but no luck. I even pulled and reloaded the card and its drivers, but still no luck. I had another NIC, a D-Link 530 and swapped it in, still nothing.

At no time have I had even a light blinking on the NIC when hooked up to the network.

Any ideas? I like recycling old stuff, but it is not worth it to spend any more time on this unless someone comes up with a brilliant idea.

Roy from Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back