Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC install - Solaris 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebo32

MIS
Feb 27, 2001
US
I have a new installation of Solaris 8 - Intel...I am not sure of how to setup the NIC, can someone please help? I am new to unix and appreicate your assistance...

Thanks,
Brad

hi
pl check the name of the NIC and sometimes you can find the
exact name of NIC over nic chip.
if youre not able to find remove the sticker over nic and
note down the name and number.pl write to tek tips or to
my email id nandakesavan@usa.net.

nanda

New NIC added after OS installation ?

Get to the OK prompt, however you find easiest/least destructive.
e.g.
# halt ot STOP-A for Sun(not sure of the keyboard short-cut for intel version)

OK> boot -r
to rescan your system for new hardware

New NIC should appear as the boot messages scroll by, or if you miss that type in a command tool window;
# dmesg
to take a look at those boot messages once inside the OS to make sure that the OS is seeing the hardware.

Choose an IP appropriate for you network (DHCP also works).
use ifconfig to configure the NIC
e.g.
# ifconfig NICname 192.168.32.1
# ifconfig NICname up
NICname should be what dmesg shows as you network card is called.
# ifconfig -a
should now report that your NIC has the assigned IP and that it is up.

Of course there are GUIs in Sol8 now aren't there, but I don't know what they are, sorry.

Install the nic,and then during bootup press esc to get into the configuration tool screen.Then press f2 to scan hardware.It should detect your nic.Before exiting the program,it will ask you where to boot up from.If you see the nic card include with the cd and harddisk options,you are all set.after bootup ,type ifconfig -a to identify the nicname or go to /dev to see it.Then use the /etc files to configure ip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back