Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC-Gaming hardware conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi all.
I am having a heck of a time trying to get Diablo2:LOD running over my home network.
I have installed 2 Netgear NICs, and using a crossover cable for the connection. Both computers can "see" each other over the network, sharing files and printer options, one computer is Win Me, other is Win 98SE. The one with Me has no problems running the game.
After I installed the game to the 98Se computer, the sound for the game goes out. After about 30 secs into the game the game seems like its in conflict with the NIC. A repeating "thumping" sound emits non-stop from the speakers, only way to stop is the speakers have to be turned off or reboot. Even if I close down the game and run any other program on my computer, the repeating "thump" doesn't go away.
We can initially get the game started,thru the TCP/IP Multiplayer feature, then after the sound conflict happens, the 98SE computer times out and gets booted from the game.
I removed the card and the gameplay is perfect. Not one problem. I re-installed the NIC, bango, back to not working. No play.
I have installed the latest patch for the game, the latest sound and video card drivers.
I have un/re-installed the game numerous of times trying everything, no dice. Its extremely frustrating.
With the NIC game goes to pot, Without NIC game is perfectly fine. Argh!!
Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Sounds like your Nic and your sound card is sharing the same IRQ. Check your config and adjust you irq manually for your nic to a IRQ thats not being used.

I just checked the properties under the device mgr, Sound is on 05 IRQ, No conflict. NIC is on 11 IRQ, No conflict.
Any other suggestions.
I tried pinging back to the other computer, no problems both ways, everything shows up good.

Un-LAN able,

This is definitely a conflict of sorts. What you should try is to look at the device manager with the network card in, then again with the network card out. And see how the settings differ. The conflict doesn't have to necessarily be in the sound card. It might be a result of another device and the NIC, but you get the sound problem as your symptom. With the NIC in you see IRQ5 and IRQ11. But with the NIC out you might notice there's now an IRQ 3 or IRQ 9 that wasn't there before. Interupts can be a nightmare. Even if you know what your doing.. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back