Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC Delay at bootup - is it necessary??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoatyGoat

Technical User
Sep 28, 2003
GB
After reformatting and reinstalling XP Pro, my bootup is 1:15 pre-BootVis Optimisation, 1:03 after.

Hoever, I can get this to under 45s if there was no NIC Delay. Is it possible to eliminate/reduce this NIC Delay (for Blueyonder Boradband Cable Internet)?? What is it for?

Uk Broadband modems require a short period or syncronisation when booting up. On BT Modems this is shown by One Constant Light and One Blinking Light. I would imagine that that is the reason for the delay.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

But it delays boot quite a lot - what is the delay for? Why is it needed every time you restart/bootup?? Can it be shortened?

Assuming that it is what I am talking about then no you cannot do without it. UK Broadband modems require that when they are initialised they syncronise with the Exchange. The only way around this would be to not have the modem/nic enabled on start up. This is certainly possible with BT Modems because they are extrenal USB modems, so you can plug them in later. However if your ISP is using a Internal NIC for the broadband then it will need to be enabled during startup.

Also I'm not being picky but is there a particular reason for needing to shorten boot time by 18 seconds, or are you just trying to cut it down for quickness?

Greg Palmer

No I was just wondering cos my bootup time is quite slow for Windows XP (55 seconds now).

My modem can be turned off, but will the internal NIC Card still syncronise if the external modem (which is connected to the NIC Card) is switched off??

In theory no, but you can but try.

Greg Palmer

55 seconds? This is to the desktop with all the startup apps finished loading? Antivirus, and firewall too? It takes Norton and Zonealarm Pro ~30 seconds after the desktop is up to finish loading on mine.
And I have an AMD 2600 with 512 of 3200 DDR RAM.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I have no firewall (except XP Firewall), and I hate norton cos its so huge and takes lots of resources - i use a smaller prog. - AVG.

Maybe it's Zonealarm that takes so long then. 60 seconds is a very good boot time. I suggest getting a more advanced firewall though, the XP is very limited.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

If you turn off the modem the delay may get even longer because the nic will search for a network connection until it times out.

You NIC is hanging on an IP address from your modem. If you had a static IP then you would not be getting this latency. If you turn the modem off, you would still experience this problem. For a test you can change your IP address from "Obtain Automaticaly" to "Use this address" but you would not have any internet access, since the modem is handling DHCP.
You can try it to see if it speeds up the booting.

-Mat

So basically, there's no way to speed it up? OK. Thanks anyway.

I use a PPPoE connection in XP toconnect to my ISP. This creates a 'virtual adapter' in the device manager. It is this network card that receives the ISP Dynamic IP ect... I placed a 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 on my physical network card and my bootup time has significantly decreased.

you could try that perhaps...

Your comments are always appreciated

I learn, therefore I can
---------------------
Steve F
MCSE/CCNA HSE Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back