Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC CARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

luisb03

MIS
Nov 12, 2003
US
Hello,

I need some assistance in configuring my secondary network card on one of my RS/6000. When I used smitty tcpip and select my second network card and enter all fields..It makes does entries the primary entries for the system.
So basically I want two cards with two different ip address and hostnames on the same system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Lou

two different hostnames on the same system? - not possible.

two different IPs on the same system? - possible.

So, if you want to telnet into the box through the second NIC using a name and not the IP, would you put the second name and IP address in DNS or /etc/hosts?

Interesting, even if you have a gig connection on one card and a 10/100 connection on the other card.

I know on Solaris this is possible?

Thanks for the reply

if meaning of your "hostnames" -eq "IP to name resolving" (example in DNS) then it is of course possible :))))

but when you are talking about system name (the output of `hostname` command) then of course not.

I guest it was my missunderstanding.

Generally there should be no problem configuring second NIC in the AIX (I am using 9 NICs per cluster node for some clusters)

Please explain more detaily what you are going to do and what is the problem you detect.

ogniemi, I think you are using the correct definition of hostname in your answer. And Lou, I think for what you want to do, you need to use "Further Configuration" in smit to configure the second card and make sure the second IP and name are in you DNS server and/or /etc/hosts.

I tried using "Further Configuration" in smit to configure the second card but it overrides the settings of the first card. Its odd if I bring down one of the cards it works fine but when I have both cards active it wants to use same hostname and IP address for both cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back