Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC card wake up! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

inhand

Technical User
Dec 10, 2002
US
Using Windows Vista, once I put my computer in the "Low Power State", it seems to turn everything off (the power goes off, fans mercifully stop). When I turn it back on - everything comes back super fast and works great:

Except the NIC card, which IE 7 prompts me to reset. That takes a long while, and once it's done, everything works fine again.

Anyway to avoid this NIC reset and still be able to use this kind of shutdown feature?

Thanks!

Wrong kind of NIC card for Vista?

Incorrect or out of date NIC card drivers?

But most likely you have simply fallen foul of being at the leading edge. If you can be patient, updated drivers will be released. Keep an eye on the NIC vendors website for Vista drivers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I was single I looked for miss right. When I married her I discovered her first name was always.

Thank you, that sounds right!

Something to add to the Vista driver theory.

The PCI connector has no "standby" voltage, so for the NIC cards to support this sleep state they will provide a little cable that you have to connect to the backup supply (5VSB). They will also call it "wake-on LAN", as system maintenance people can do remote maintenance of such-equipped PCs through the LAN. Some mobos have a connector to allow outputting this backup supply. It is usually built-in with the on-board LANs that come on so most recent mobos.

inhand, while I can't assist you with this problem, the title of your thread has inspired me to write this haiku for you:

NIC card wake up!
Vista has no drivers
No time for sleep!

:p

can you not manually tell the computer to not switch off the nic as with previous versions of windows in properties, configure, power management ?

Laters, phat, headshape

Yes if the NIC chip is built on the motherboard, and that it does support the standby modes. No if the NIC does not receive the standby power, as on an add-on card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back