Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NFS, forgetting to unmount before reboot, slows other processes. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnelson1

MIS
Jul 18, 2001
US
I had to IPL a machine (AIX 5.1) that was exporting one of its filesystems to a couple of other AIX 5.1 machines. I forgot to unmount the filesystem on one of the machines. It seems that all processes got hung up and all printing stopped, other software slowed down, no one could log into the software (into Lawson, not AIX). Until the host machine came back up. Then everything was fine.

Does NFS become a big resource hog, when it can't see its host? Why is this? Is there a way to set the mounts, so that it doesn't about bring the system to a halt when/if I forget to unmount?

In case you are interested in the fix for this problem, this is a bug with AIX 5.1 and is fixed in ML06. Both of my machines have ML04, but I plan on upgrading to ML06 soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back