Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NForce2 ASUS A7N8X + WinXP cdrom issues 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BChumie

Programmer
Jan 11, 2002
US
Hello all,

I wanted to ask a question about the asus A7N8X motherboard. Basically I have hooked up a cd-rw and a dvd to one IDE channel on the ide drive. Now when I boot into windows XP and I have a cd in one of the drives it properly recognizes that cd when I click on my computer and try to explore the cd. But if I take that out and put a new one in, it seems to just recognize what I had in there previously. I don't know why it is not recognizing the new cd that I put into the drive. This happens with both drives.

And by a side note this also happens when you don't have any cd in the drives and then you put one in... it will only recoginize that cd. I does not allow you to put the new cd in and recognize it.

I am running the newest nvidia drivers 2.03 on their website and I have tried both the nvidia 3.07 driver and the other driver that was included with the driver packages.

Thank you in advance,
Brad

Brad,

I have the same setup with a CD-RW and DVD on one IDE. I did exactly what you described. The only way I can reproduce that same behavior is when I keep the same 'My computer' window up and do not hit refresh using F5. When I close the window and then reopen the 'My computer' window I can see the new CD. What happens when you put in the new CD close all windows then try to explore the CD again? Also, when you say the CD-RW will not recognize the CD when you put in a new CD after not having one in the drive, do you get an error, what happens exactly?

Wade

Hello Wade,

Thank you for the response. Basically nothing happens that is the problem :(. When I hit refresh or f5 basically nothing changes.

For instance, if I have the warcraft III cd in my drive, then I take it out and close all my windows. Then I put in another disk (say max payne). Nothing happens to make my computer show it as max payne... you still see the "warcraft III" cd. Then when you double click the drive it actually starts looking for files on the warcraft III cd. Nothing changes it until I reboot, that is no refreshing or anything will change the "warcraft III" cd in my drive. It is driving me crazy.

Let me ask you a question... what IDE drivers are you using?

Thank you for the help,
Brad

try installing your cd-rw on IDE 2 and set it as master,put your dvd on IDE 1 and set it as slave.let me know.tdark

Hello,

That didn't solve anything :(

Brad

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Windows XP Service Pack 1.

Have you installed SP1?

Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer (Q314939)

Linney thank you for the suggestion... interesting article. I did have service pack one installed so that was not it.

After much frustration and an "almost" format and reinstall I went through and uninstalled almost all of my programs.

I fixed it... apparently norton antivirus 2003 doesn't like me :(

Thank you for all the help to everyone.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back