Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nexus 7K - adding .1 Gateway address for a new VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

force5

ISP
Nov 4, 2004
US
Good morning,
I had to create 2 new VLANS on our Nexus 7K, Vlan 151(voice) and Vlan 152(data), for our newly built warehouse. How do I configure the Nexus 7K to be the gateway for both of these new vlans?

Thank you

Thanks,

Chad
Network Administrator

You should be feeding the VLANs back to your distribution layer for routing.

Alternatively, if you want to misuse the Nexus switches in this way, you do:
conf t
feature interface-vlan
interface vlan 151
ip address 10.10.151.0 255.255.255.0

vince it's not a misuse to have some layer 3 on a nexus... if they have a collapsed core topology or maybe these are Transit network vlans?

We must go always forward, not backward
always up, not down and always twirling twirling towards infinity.

I understand keeping the distribution layer off of the Nexus. We have a collapsed core. However, in 3 months, we will be taking ALL direct connections off of the Nexus and adding it to a 3750 for distribution. Until then, I need to add these new vlans into our network to handle the new addition. I am not proficient on layer 3 of the Nexus. Is Vince's code correct? Thank you in advance.

Thanks,

Chad
Network Administrator

Do you have the correct cards for the Nexus to do Layer 3 ? If so then it is no different than othter cisco L3 switches just create a L3 SVI and put the address on it . Assign ports into that vlan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back