Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Next Friday Function 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamar (and others),

I just noticed that PDFSLIDE has also taken one of my articles without permission. Does it survive my stealing other people's work? Please do report them, and let us know how you get on. I will do the same.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

They had 4 or 5 of mine. I reported them all. Haven't heard anything from them and at least this one is still up. I'll give it another day or two and then I'll figure out another way to go after them.

I hate these sites that let just another post a document and don't require them to prove they have IP rights. ScribD had a whole bunch of mine a while back. I actually talked to a lawyer about it, but the feeling was that there wasn't provable harm, so hard to succeed. I check back there periodically to see whether there's more.

Tamar

Tamar,

I've faced this situation before. If a polite email to the company doesn't work, my next step has been to contact the abuse administrator, either of the site itself or its hosting company (if any). Every reputable publishing platform or hosting company should have an abuse administrator. You can find their contact details by first determining the site's IP address (for example, by using [tt]ping[/tt] in a command window), and then doing a WhoIs search on that address.

If the offending site is based in the US (but there is often no way of knowing that), you can also take action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). I've considered doing that a couple of times, but so far it hasn't been necessary.

I hope the above info will be of some help to others who face this situation.

Mike

Tamar,

It looks like that particular article has now been removed from PDFSLIDE. But I also noticed a copy of the same article on another site. I won't paste the URL directly into this post, as I don't want to give it the benefit of a link, but it is essentially "fdocuments" followed by ".net" adnd then "/document/dev180-visual-foxpro-quirks-tamar-e-foxprodev180-visual-foxpro-quirks-by-tamar" and finally ".html"

I wonder how many more of these pirate sites exist.

Mike

Yeah, this site removed my articles. (I reported through their mechanism.) But it's a constant fight. And even with the reputable sites, if you have stuff by more than one author, it's a real hassle to remove because you have to assert that you have the permission of all authors.

The one you just sent me to had more of mine, but didn't seem to be monetized. Those are the ones that make me angriest--them charging people to see my work without paying me.

Tamar

Sorry Tamar, it seemed to me a site you use to share session slides publicly.

Mike, you seem to be in a mood for accusations, to say it mildly.

Tamar has very good reasons to be upset as pdfslides advertises with content they just grab from anywhere. They are even as pretending fair use as they point out DMCA. Very clearly just profiting from anyone not caring about earning without much own involvement other than crawling the web.

Chriss

Another attempt:

Code:
FUNCTION NextFriday
LPARAMETERS dDate
RETURN m.dDate + IIF(DOW(m.dDate)<6,6,13)-DOW(m.dDate)

Steve

>Well, let's break down the example you're so proud of.

I'm not being proud of anything. No idea where you get that idea from. I was merely pointing out that this is not a new algorithm, and providing evidence of that. Sure, your particular implemention differs, but it was unclear that that is all you were claiming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back