Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newsletter layout 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dterrie

Programmer
Feb 9, 2001
US
I am trying to create a 'newsletter' report with a two-column page layout. The report pulls data from 25-30 different tables, displayed in charts or tables, mixed with text. The report needs to be printed as hard copy, requiring an 8 or 12 page format. We'll also be generating PDF files, and displaying the report/pages on client web sites. I get stuck in a couple of ways:

1) If I place all the text fields and chart/table subreports in the same section, and enable them to grow, they do not move down to accomodate the field size. They just overright each other.

2) If I follow the standard advice and place each in its own section, the contents do not flow from column to column properly - each new section starts in a new column.

Basically, I need the columns to flow like they would in Word or in publishing SW like Adobe. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

Try to turn on the
"Underlay Following Sections"
attribute on the Format section dialog.

hth,
- Ido

Ido,

Your tip almost worked, but the section containing the sub-report the chart was overwritten. The two other sections flowed as desired. Could I trick CR into leaving room my placing a hidden field? Is there another way?

Thanks again.

Tough to undestand the situation from your message.

Try to explain again the layout and what is still wrong.

Cheers,
- Ido

I have three detail sections in my test report. The first is text. The second is a chart sub-report (charts can't go in detail sections, why I don't know). The third is text again. The chart starts immediately after section 1 as desired, but the third section writes over the chart. Is this because it's a sub-report and is treated differently?

BTW, I'm using the Visual Studio.net Beta.

Sounds like you should turn OFF the UnderLay Following Sections
for the Chart section.

Your description doesn't explain where you have two columns though.

hth,
- Ido

Regarding the report layout, all pages are two-columns of even width except for the first page, as is the case for many NLs. The first page has a horizontal header and possibly a vertical 1/4 pg width TOC on the left. There are variations on this layout, but the rest of the pages are all two-column with charts/tables accompanying associated text. As I mentioned there are 25-30 sections to the report, most of which are required, and for which data for each will come from a different table in the database. Each report pulls data for a single entity the ID for which could be used to link associated sub-report data. This, I can deal with. I'm just stumped on the layout issue. I have not found a combo of underlay and keep together that enables each section to both follow the previous one immediately and not write over it.

Thanks again for responding.

It's still tough to imagine what the layout is like exactly.
For example, do you always know that the text side
is always longer/shorter than the Chart side?
Are there places where the Text & Chart sides must
be aligned (start together)? etc.

E-mail me directly (ixm7@psu.edu) and we'll connect over
the phone since describing these type of layout issues
is difficult in writing.

Cheers,
- Ido

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back