Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEWS FLASH: FoxPro STILL not dead Can't kill the FOX HAHA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave
It is not for me to hold out.
This modified version of VFP9 was given to me by the author that modified it has a beta tester. It is not available for download anywhere. But has been discussed for over a year on another site. I could not find your e-mail address anywhere.
This modified version of VFP9 creates a C++ 64bit executable version of your project, although at this point there are some limitations, for example it does not support 64bit or 32bit activex, but other than that it works fine. The modifications were done through .h files.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Mike,

I totally understand. I just had to say something is all. [smile]
However, I would love to know more or join in the discussion if that's acceptable or possible. I am quite interested in keeping things in the VFP world alive.

If you would like to contact me, toward the bottom of the 'Home' page of my web site there is an email icon...

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Web Connection and FoxWeb are 2 ways of keeping FoxPro alive. For a company that has a huge investment in Foxpro code you could pretty easily interface that code to the web. I am sure there are more than a few situations where it makes sense to adapt the FoxPro code to the web. If it requires a lot of rewrite of the business logic, it might not make sense. But if the FoxPro code is easily reusable to push to the web vs. desktop, maybe it would?

Regards,

Rob

Is that from China community ?

Yes it is from China.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

>This modified version of VFP9 creates a C++ 64bit executable version of your project
I suspect this was made by decompilation of vfp9.exe, I don't think I'll make use of such a product, no matter how many other improvements will be in there.

If , as you say, mainly header files were changed before recompiling, VFP 64bit will still build EXEs needing the vfp runtime on top of a C++ runtime, as any VFP built EXE does today, too. It's just the 64bit C++ runtime now, isn't it? What other implications does that have? More RAM available through SYS(3050)? You surely can't have >2gb dbfs without changing the DBF engine as that needs some BIGINT instead of LONG header sections, rendering such DBFs incompatible. You could only use unsigned LONGS to get up to 4GB without the need to add bytes, just interpreting them different.

Bye, Olaf.

I suspect this was made by decompilation of vfp9.exe

No, I don't think so.

VFP 64bit will still build EXEs needing the vfp runtime on top of a C++ runtime

It includes them in the exe.

Mike Gagnon

>>VFP 64bit will still build EXEs needing the vfp runtime on top of a C++ runtime
>It includes them in the exe.

OK, so there's a Linker now, or are just these DLLs linked automatically? It still deosn't make it much faster, does it?

Bye, Olaf.

I have not tested it anough to determine a speed difference. I am just getting ready for Microsoft to drop the support on 32bit applications. Looking at alternatives.

Mike Gagnon

Mike

so when might this be shared with the rest of us without such connections, as we all are looking for ways to save FoxPro and our clients

Fanz

By the way Mike, that was my correct email address. If you didn't get my reply, check your spam folder. I have had some issues getting flagged as spammer a couple times.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

For those interested, you can request for an alpha copy of VFP Advanced x64. Send a request to ccb2000@163.com.

You still think Windows9 will be 64bit only without 32bit subsystem? What I heard is the 32bit subsystem remains. There only is no 32bit only Windows 9, and why would there be? Support for 32bit CPU ends, not for 32bit software.

Bye, Olaf.

rfanslow said:
so when might this be shared with the rest of us without such connections, as we all are looking for ways to save FoxPro and our clients

It is still in Alpha version. But Chan is working at it still. So I don't know. But you can try mm0000's suggestion and ask for a copy of the alpha version.

Mike Gagnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back