Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newly installed Windows 2003 DC in the Child Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhusd

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2001
I just upgraded (fresh install) an existing Windows 2000 DC in the child domain to Windows 2003 Server and made it an additional DC in the child domain. After install, I can't seem to connect to my parent domain from the AD Users and Computers MMC. (By Right Clicking the domain name and selecting Connect to domain option). I can do that just fine from my other DC in the same child domain. The error message is "specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted". Any help is greatly appreciated !

I have seen this happen when setting up DCs in child domains, check the DNS console to ensure that the correct DC related service records have been added in DNS (_msdcs, etc)

Thanks for your help ! That fixed it. The DNS console was pointing to the old server. I changed it to the new server and I am back in business !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back