Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newly installed apache2 web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemorej

Technical User
Mar 12, 2004
PH
good day!

i just installed apache2 on suse9.0, got it up and running, i see the apache default page on the suse box. the problem is i cant see the default apache index.html within my network running windows. do i have to set anything, rights(?), on the apache htdocs directory?
thanks a lot.

p.s. im new to this linux thing and im kinda getting my feet wet :D, so hel me out guys, thanks again :D

you should just have to type the host name or lan ip of the suse box.

Make sure you have the permissions set correctly on that file. As root, issue
Code:
chmod 766 /srv/www/htdocs/index.html

First, what happens? Does it just not open, like the server can't be seen, or do you get an error message such as "Forbidden"? Check /var/log/httpd/access_log and error_log to see if your requests are seen by the server.

If the page comes up in the local browser, then file permissions are OK. If you installed the firewall, make sure port 80 is allowed in; you can use "/etc/init.d/iptables stop" to remove the firewall for testing.

you need to know if it's a connectivity issue, or a server-side config issue.

Try to telnet on port 80 from the windows machines to the apache server. Do you get some kind of response?

when i type in the " in the local suse box it shows the apache default page, but when i type the " in the windows pc, the error is "The page cannot be displayed".

when i telnet using putty on port 80, the error is "Network Error: Connection time Out".

Do you have the network running on the SUSE box? Is there a firewall or proxy between your Windows box and the SUSE? Is your telnet using a host name or IP address? Try a tracert to the SUSE IP, and then to the host name.

JuJutsu - Jeff S.
Support Analyst

yes, the suse box is in the network, i use the suse box as a internet gateway. i also use the built-in firewall of the suse box, these are the servies that i checked that should be available on the suse: (1)HTTP, (2)HTTPS, (3)SSH, (4)TELNET. then the friewall features: (1)ALLOW TRACEROUTE, (2)FORWARD TRAFFIC AND DO MASQUERADING, (3)PROTECT ALL RUNNING SERVICES.

when i do tracert on the windows to suse, request time out.

Why not disconnect from the net, turn the firewall off for 5mins and see if you can connect to it then. At least you will have eliminated the problem then.

Binary Intelligence, true or false?

when i do tracert on the windows to suse, request time out.

After any hops? Can you ping the SUSE box? If you can't tracert to it, you can't use HTTP to it eaither. How many Ethernet cards in SUSE box? Did you tracert to the IP or host name? What is IP of windows box and IP of SUSE? Same subnet?

JuJutsu - Jeff S.
Support Analyst

when i disabled the firewall, i can ping and ssh the suse box from the windows pc. but when i turn the firewall back on, " ping time out" and i cant ssh into the suse.

do you think its a firewall misconfiguration? i used the YAST on the suse.

suse9.0:
> 2 ethernet card(1 internal and 1 for external)
> used for internet gateway
> external card got different subnet than the internal

p.s. i can ping the internal ip of the suse but the external it replies "ping time out".

Probably a firewall issue. However, you should not be able to ping the internal Ethernet card when you can't see the external. You might want to check that the correct cable is plugged into the correct Ethernet card.

JuJutsu - Jeff S.
Support Analyst

its probably a firewall issue but i dont know how to correct this. i sue the built-in etehrnet card as the external and the external ethernet card for the internal, i can connect to the internet from the windows pc, so there must be no problem on the physical connection of the ethernet.

anybody got any ideas?? firewall issues??? anyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back