Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newly created mailboxes on EXCH2K not recieving mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinito

Technical User
May 21, 2004
GB
was wondering if any of you could help.

recently, whenever we create new mail accounts on our exch2k box through AD, that specific mailbox does not recive mail from external sources.

the new mailbox can recieve mail internally fine,
it can send mail internally and externally fine,
BUT it does not recieve external mails...
the sexternal sender does not get any NDRs.

Anyw ideas?
this used to work fine untill a week ago. somehow something has changed. have checked everything but cant see anything out the ordinary.

please help....

We have a mixed Exchange 5.5/2003 system and are experiencing the same issue. The Exchange 5.5 server is the server responsible for outbound smtp delivery. It appears that the 5.5 IMS uses the x.500 address to create the reply address from an Exchange 2003 user.

Testing the "real" smtp address of the 2003 user works just fine. It is apparently only the outbound email's reply address that is getting mixed up.

Did you resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Greg

I have this problem right now! Did anybody find a resolution? We have the same situation as kotulag in the previous post.

Lido
Development & Reporting
UK

Our resolution was to move the smtp service to the 2003 server and move all of the mailboxes, too. Just eliminating the 5.5 server completely is a good way to elimninate a lot of problems.

when the 5.5 ims can't resolve the smtp address in the 5.5 directory, it encapsulates the X500 address in IMCEA format. That's what you're seeing on the reply address. The issue would be replication from AD to 5.5. If you're using two way CAs, check your CA. If you are using on way CAs from 5.5 to AD, then you'll need to create a custom recipient on the 5.5 side so the smtp address will resolve.

Well if that's the case, we have a problem as Microsoft themselves set up our two-way CA! We logged a support call for it a couple of weeks ago.

Would the custom recipient idea not work even though we have a two-way CA? If so, how would I create one so that it works?

TIA

Lido
Development & Reporting
UK

If you have a two way CA, and replication is working, the custom recipient will not work.

It could also be UTF-8 issues. If you look at the encapsulated address, you see:

IMCEAEX-_O=ROBERT+20WALTERS_OU=RW+5FSYD_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=TEST+5FACCOUNT@robertwalters.com.au

20 is a space, the 5F appears to be unicode character that isn't getting converted.

Try

Well I still don't have a resolution for this.

The problem I have is that our bridgehead server is on a different site. The bridgehead is an Exchange 5.5 server. All migrated accounts are working nicely. Newly created accounts are producing these strange encapsulated reply addresses.

Any other ideas?

Lido
Development & Reporting
UK

I too have the same issue with a mixed 5.5 2003 setup, It'll even tually be 2003 only when I move all the boxes.

I found something interesting though that seems to fix this, albeit crudely.

If I add another SMTP address to the new user manually, on the 5.5 side - then I notice that the option set as reply-to address is lit up. I choose it for the new address, then I sleect the existing address that was created with the recipient policy and set that as reply-to - it ends up coming out stamped' correctly.

To be clearer: Add another smtp address (I happen to have more than one domain but I suppose it can be a dummy) - set that new address as reply-to.
Then set the original smtp address as rply-to.

Oddly, that makes the emails come out correctly and not with that odd x500 entry. I'm not even sure where that X500 entry is coming from at all.

Any other advice/input would be great.

- Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back