Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newly Built ASUS A7M266 will not boot to anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlain

Instructor
Aug 6, 2001
US
I just built a new computer. I have an ASUS A7M266 ver 1.05 and an AMD 1800+ CPU. The system will count memory and list devices and stop after that like it is waiting for something. It never errors out in any way. I have unpluged everything with only a floppy plugged in. I have even replaced the floppy and used different boot disks. The system goes through normal post up procedure and will even spin the floppy up during the post, but after post nothing, sometimes the light comes on the floppy and stays on.

Thanks for the help..

I would check the bios. Make sure the Floppy is set up right. On my Asus A7V266-E the floppy had several settings. One locations has the boot order, and one location has the floppy type. There is also an option for fast or slow boot, and maybe a forced floppy check. I often put the floppy data cable backwards.

Hope this helps. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I have checked the boot order and changed it around but it seem to never even try to boot to a device.

check the floppy cable to see that it isnt backwards. js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

I would suspect the floppy cable because of the continous light on. A good way to remember the correct orientation is the #1 pin on ribbon cable(red line) should be closest to the power connection.

It has nothing to do with the cables, I am aware of pin one, and know when the cables are backwards. The drive light does not stay on all the time, it only comes on when it is time.
I think there is something with the system broard that may not be right, maybe a setting or something I am missing, or the bios needs to be updated. But I can't update the bios if I can't boot.

Help.....

Thanks again for the help....

It would help if you tell us at exactly what point it stops?...I would imagine it would be something to do with the setting of your hdd controller type...go into the bios and make sure your hard drive controller type is set to auto ..may not be detecting if it is an ata66/100 drive etc...

I have unpluged all drives just to see if it will boot the the floppy drive, same problem, I have even changed floppy drives and used multiple boot disks.

It stops just after the post. On other Mother bds I usualy get the esid updating message.

I think there is something with the bios and CPU, maybe a 1800plus was not ment for this motherbd

Keep those sugestions coming....

I fixed it !!!!

I went to my supplier and put a 1600+ CPU in and it booted.
I then flashed the bios and put the 1800+ back in and everything worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back