Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newly Acquired 9714 - What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

texaslane

Technical User
Oct 20, 2004
US
My boss acquired a 9714 with six drives and capacity for 40 tapes. Since I sit closest to where he is storing the equipment, (this is the truth), he wants me to bring it to life. The problem is that I have no background with storage or for that matter servers. My background is network engineering.

My iniitial research on this tells me that it is a little late to bring this to life since it is EOL. My gut feeling is to sell it to someone for parts and use the proceeds to purchase a stackable solution. Someone suggested that I could re-use the robotics and the cartride carriers and upgrade the tape drive for higher capacity.

My Questions

I have seen 9714 equipment on Ebay for around $5,000 but that doesn't mean anyone's paying that for it.
Is there a value for this equipment? If so how much?

What are systems with 1TB - 3TB storage capabilities costing these days?

Is there any value in trying to re-use the robotics or is this just a waste of time and effort?

Well, as you can tell, I'm brand new to this so any informatoin would be greatly appreciated. .....TIA Lane

Well, the 9714 only supported DLT4000 and DLT7000 drives. Since you can no longer get STK to support that library, if you had to service it it would be a Time and materials service call ($$$$).

So, if you have 40 slots and DLT7000 drives, you can store about 1.4TB of data.

As for modular lib pricing. You can look at a STK L20 with 10 slots and 2 LTOG2 drive. This will 2TB of data. List is about $25k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back