Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newer sendmail versions not respecting aliases, virtuser or mailertabl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numbski

MIS
Mar 27, 2001
US
I've set up sendmail MANY times. Mostly on FreeBSD and MacOS X, and a few times under Linux. There are alwasy the minor hiccups, but in the last few weeks I've run into serious issues with 8.12.9.

I don't know what's going on, but the version just outright refuses to respect the config files, primarily the virtusertable and mailertable, although I'm now seeing that it doesn't respect the aliases file either. I'm using essential the same sendmail.mc file that I always use, so I don't know what's changed. I have 4 servers now that are down and MANY very angry customers. I've been struggling with it for a while now, so if anyone has an idea I'd be open to hearing it.

Here's my sendmail.mc file:

Code:
divert(0)
VERSIONID(`$FreeBSD: src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc,v 1.10.2.16 2002/05/22 16:39:1$
OSTYPE(freebsd4)
DOMAIN(generic)

define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/local/bin/procmail')
define('LOCAL_MAILER_ARGS', `procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)

FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(local_lmtp)
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')

dnl Uncomment both of the following lines to listen on IPv6 as well as IPv4
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv4, Family=inet')
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv6, Family=inet6')

define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')
define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `3000000')dnl
define(`confMAX_MIME_HEADER_LENGTH', `256/128')
define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-to-undisclosed')
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,noexpn,novrfy')
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)
MAILER(procmail)

Sending to a virtusertable address (of course I've done a makemap hash virtusertable.db < virtusertable and a sendmail restart) results in a user uknown message. Trying to forward out using an smtp:mailserver entry in mailertable does absolutely nothing.

Is this a common problem, or have a I screwed up?

Okay, I'm partially lying. mailertable is being respected. I have an entry like this in mailertable:

Code:
stg-stl.net     smtp:mail.stg-stl.net

Now, I have a virtusertable entry like this:

Code:
numbski@stg-stl.net      numbski@hksilver.net

Just as an FYI, primary MX for hksilver.net is a completely different server, mail.hksilver.net.

If I mail numbski@stg-stl.net, it should look at the virtusertable, then the mailertable, right? If not, how do I reverse the order?

Here's what I get in the log if I mail numbski@stg-stl.net:

Code:
Oct 15 15:39:55 mx1 sm-mta[30911]: h9FFdtg3030911: from=<root@mx1.stg-stl.net>, size=337, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200310151539.h9FFdtAl030910@mx1.stg-stl.net>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=Daemon0, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]

Oct 15 15:39:55 mx1 sendmail[30910]: h9FFdtAl030910: to=numbski@stg-stl.net, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30047, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (h9FFdtg3030911 Message accepted for delivery)

Oct 15 15:39:57 mx1 sm-mta[30913]: h9FFdtg3030911: to=<numbski@stg-stl.net>, ctladdr=<root@mx1.stg-stl.net> (0/0), delay=00:00:02, xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=smtp, pri=30332, relay=mail.stg-stl.net [208.216.198.22], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (h9FKWn4J053321 Message accepted for delivery)

Ah, one other thing. I've tried reversion the mailertable and virtusertable lines in the sendmail.cf file. No good, it still ignores the virtusertable and respects the mailertable. I'm doing a makemap hash and restart of sendmail after each change for both of the files too.

Reversing the mailertable and virtusertable lines. Not reversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back