Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEWBY - Email address confusion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetly

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2007
US
I am in a 1 server configuration (NO Edge) , using Outlook XP with 2007 server. We have ISP mailboxes and local exchange server.

Is there any advantage to entering ALL external addresses in Recipient configuration/Mailbox/user/Email addresses tab, for people who have multiple external POP accounts?

Is this something that I must or should do?

Also should I be setting there local or there external SMTP as the "Set as reply" address

When I setup clients, and set there POP/SMTP(default) on the client must this correspond in any way to how I have the addresses set up on the server?

This may sound like a stupid question, but.........
Is there a way, in my 1 server configuration (or any configuration for that matter), that I can make it so I don't have to setup the POP accounts on the client and just let the server check and receive the mail?

Thanks, Jeff

Exchange 2007 has done away with pop connectors so you would need to use a third party connector to download the pop mail and pass it to exchange if you wanted to go down that route.

If your clients are downloading the POP mail and sending it back out through your host then you do not need (or have reason) to add the addresses to exchange as exchange isn't dealing with the mail but could add them as contacts so they appear in the address book.

Proabably a silly question but what does your exchange server do (if anything) does it just handle internal email?

Is the external mail from a domain of your own, if so you would be better off updating the MX records to point to your exchange server and set it up to receive the mail itself.

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

- Tech forum dedicated Google search, find answers faster by not searching the junk.

Is the external mail from a domain of your own, if so you would be better off updating the MX records to point to your exchange server and set it up to receive the mail itself."

If I wanted to do this, do I need to set my exchange server outside of my internal network?

Does it need to have a public address?

If thinking no, but just figured I'd ask.

Depending on your security requirements you can have a second server in a DMZ outside your main LAN to act as a bridgehead server (just passes email to and from the network), most small organisations just forward the ports straight to the exchange server within their LAN.

You need a static IP for your router (that you point your MX records to for the domain) then forward the relevent ports through to your exchange server, e.g. 25 for SMTP (and the IIS server if you want to use Outlook Web Access, 80 or 443 depending on whether you are using SSL or not).

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

- Tech forum dedicated Google search, find answers faster by not searching the junk.

Thanks for your insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back