Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie's Questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffumjr

Technical User
Mar 9, 2007
US
I am a home user. I want to buy a Cisco router on Ebay, or refurb to use at home. I am really interested in its firewall features. I would need one with at least a lower level of the IOS. An older, honking monster, replaced by some business due to an upgrade, with the full IOS would be sweet. The Linksys Etherfast I have now just doesn't have the features to learn anything. The router MUST have two ethernet ports; one for the DSL, and one for the rest of the network. I can then use the etherfast as a switch. I am not made of money. If I can get away under $75, that would do it.

1. The possibilities are endless. What models should I be looking at?

2. What questions should I be asking the sellers?

3. What are negative discriminators I should look for, to narrow the field?

4. Buying from a certified Cisco reseller assumes I am heeled like Donald Trump. What is the best source for these routers?

5. Once I have it in, and wired, which of these forums is best for a newbie's questions?

I am willing to spend time with this thing, learning and poking around. I am willing to haunt the Cisco help PDF's.

Well, I don't know about $75, but the 837 is awesome for what you seek, and then some.

Burt

Great! There's an 830 series on Ebay, right now. Probably more to follow.

What questions should I be asking the seller?

Actually, this is very close to what I have, and I paid $175 or so for it, so if you can get this for near that, I'd say it's a pretty good deal...

I have almost that exact image, but I have 16MB flash in mine, same amount of DRAM...the image is inly 6.5MB though, so the 12MB flash is plenty.

I also have a 2503 and 3 2620's, and one is an XM. they are all maxed out as far as flash and DRAM go. I also have 2 2924 switches.

Burt

By the way, on the link that I posted, it looks good, so there is no need to ask the seller anything. Someone asked if the guy tested the router, and he says he did. He has a rating of like 430 or something, and received only 2 negative comments out of 430, so I'd trust him!

burt

Great stuff! I am indeed at the right place. Well, either an 831 or the 837, then. I'll let the other hardware go, as it has serial, AUI, and proprietary ports. Good for a mainframe shop, but not for a home (ab)user. Looks like the 837 advertised can be used as a cable modem, as well, thus reducing the box count at my computer desk. We'll see how pricing goes.

Oh. Pardon. I was looking at the older routers that are being aggressively dumped. 1600, 1700, 2500 series stuff. Does ANYONE use AUI, anymore?

No AUI is dead , that is from the days of thickent ethernet .

The 1700 series will cost you a bit more, but it looks like you are looking for at least an 800 series, with an ethernet for the internet and one for the LAN. The WIC1-ADSL card is for dsl, and is a bit costly as an add-on for the internet. If you have a cable internet service, then you need something with a coax input, like your modem. the cable modem would do the PPPoA authentication (or PPPoE---don't know too much about cable, though my brother's been working for Charter for like 9 years...lol)...the router can, well, route...and handle other things, like VPN traffic, firewall features, AAA, logging, route maps, etc.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back