Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie's question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicegsxr

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
US
Hi all, first of all, I like to say that this is by far the best forum I been to on technical issues, GREAT JOB!! My situation is this, I am a IT/Web person in my company of around 50 employees, we are currently running a peer to peer type network where there is one server which is pretty much the App server, Sql DB server, and file server. We are having issues with the performance of the server which causes alot of the local machines to crash on the App, so we decided to purchase 2 new dell rack servers. My question for you database and backup expert is this. How should I go about moving the current DB from our original server to the new rack server we will be purchasing? We currently use ARCServe and a HP Tape backup to backup our server. However we really have no idea if the backup is really working or not, that brings to another question, other than the log files, how can I actually know if the data or the databases are being backup? Any help will be helpful, thanks in advance!!

Concerning whether you are actually backing up or not, try to do a restore, even if it's just a folder or file. You'll know what's getting backed up and whether it will restore. A backup that won't restore is useless :(

I agree...test your backups anyway.

However, the easiest and safest way to transfer data is to hook up your old server(s) onto the network and transfer data that way.

Hi Nicegsxr

Depending on the size of the DB, I would sugest u use the SQL utilities to EXPORT the DB to disk. Copy the the flat file created by the export accross to the new system and IMPORT it into the DB. In this way u would bring accros all the relevant tables, users and data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back