Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSMITH242B

Programmer
Mar 7, 2003
GB
Hi Group,
I'm fairly new to J2EE.
Couple of questions:
1. Can I install on a Windows XP Machine?
2. Can you recommend any books/websites?
I currently reference
Regards

Hi, I am also a newbie to Java. I recently bought SAM's learning Java 2.0 in 21 days. It is a really good book and useful. Don't know about the 21 days though!

Just some points.

1.- Java is supposed to be cross-platform, so OS independent, it has implementations for commos OS but, what do you mean by "install"?

2.- I think java.sun.com is the website, but by googling "Java Tutorial" you can find a bunch of great ones.

2.- I've never read a Java book, but people talk relatively well about "Thinking in Java".

Anyway, this is mostly intended for Java generals, not J2EE itself.

Cheers,

Dian

Getting started tools:

- JAVA Runtime
- Development IDE

Books: Well, this is a bit tougher. It's been a long time since I learned Java, but when I did, I found it helpful to reference existing languages I knew. For some this works great, for others it makes it 10x harder.

I would plunk myself down at Barns and Nobel (or your favorite tech book store) and just read a few pages. Find the book that fits your learning style. If theory type books are your thing, grab some of the Object Oriented Programming books and use the documentation for the JAVA API's. If you are an learn by example guy, look for books with more snippets inside.

JAVA has a lot of uses, and as such how you develop with it is very differnt. If you are looking to write GUI applications (i.e. stand alone applications like word processors, games, or calculators) you will want to look at books with SWING interface design. If you are looking for Web development, then getting your feet wet with a JSP development book might be easier, then graduate to a J2EE book.

Just my 2cents. Personally, I really like the books from Oreilly... they just read well, and have the blend of theory and example I need to make the knowledge stick.

-Antharian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back