Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie to MS Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aikibro

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2007
US
...and to the forums, obviously.

Just getting started as a Project Coordinator and trying to learn MS Project, any ideas or resources as to where I can start? Thanks.

Depending on your version, the Teach Yourself series of books and the Step by Step series of books have been useful to me.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Thanks for the suggestion John...there's some delay or the other getting me Project here at the new job, but I'm about to try the trial version from MicroSoft, so likely it will be Project 2007. I was hoping for some free online tutorial of some sort, and to avoid having to spend any money, but if that's what's necessary then I'll definitely do so. Thanks for the suggestion, and if you have any links that you can share they'd be much appreciated.

You are highly unlikely to find good, free instruction on MS Project and you should not expect to be able to simply pick it up on your own as you use it.

Project is a very complex program with significant "behind the scenes" processing as it imposes order on the information you enter. By comparison, Word is a simple text editor with some formatting options.

I have never found "A" good book, nor have I ever found "A" good source of instruction. If your organization does not have two internal traing programs (an introductory one and another for enhanced training after 6-9 months of extensive use) then you will need to consider outside sources.

Please take what PDQBach says seriously. He is the guru or "tipmaster" of this subject. To see how much he knows relative to the rest of us, click on (Full List) in the MVPs section on the right of the screen.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

I concur with PDQBach and johnherman; I had read many books, used the help file within Project (2003 Pro), and read as many articles as I could online. I then took a (company-funded) 2-day course for ~$400 of the advanced level. I was amazed at how much I did not know - and how much I still have to learn. Every bit you spend on actual training is well worth it. Classroom training is great also because your classmates will ask questions you might not think of!

Thanks PDQ and Prothios (and John, again) for the feedback. This gives me a realistic idea as to the challenges I'm faced with, and I'll probably try and prevail upon the company to foot the bill. If not I guess I'll have to scour the 'net for some commercial product or course.

Thanks everyone...I look forward to your help as I plod my way along.

I am trying to Connect CA Clarity Portfolio management tool to MS Project 2003.
I am using the standard connector wizard.
It shows that it completes, without any error. The toolbar and menu are updated, but when i open a project with tasks from Clairty and then click open from MS project button, just a blank document opens.
Any help helps.

thanks,

Yuvaraj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back