Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie (sqlplus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StickyBit

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
CA
Hi folks,

I have a Solaris server running Oracle 8i. I installed Oracle Forms (client) in my windows desktop and can run sqlplus from the GUI window (i confiugred tnsnames.ora). However, when I run sqlplus from cmd.exe (windows shell) I receive the following error after I enter the user name:

SQL*Plus: Release 8.0.6.0.0 - Production on Tue Apr 2 14:25:14 2002

(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: scott
ERROR:
ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination

Enter user-name:

Please help resolve the problem, do I have to configure another file for the cmd.exe version of sqlplus?

StickyBit.

...or maybe I have to set some environment variable to configure the service name of the database like in .profile (bash shell)

Thanks StickyBit.

or maybe you need to use the /nolog option when you run SQL*Plus...

from M$ command prompt:

sqlplus /nolog
connect {username}@{tns desc}
{passwd}

;-)

I'll suggest you check which tnsnames.ora file is the active one. Is very likely that you have 2 Oracle homes: one for Oracle8i (ORA8i_HOME) and one for Oracle Forms (DEFAULT_HOME). If this is the case, you ended up with 2 tnsnames.ora files (one in each Oracle home). You will have to update both tnsnames.ora to make sure you are able to connect from either Oracle home. A better solution is to create the Windows variable TNS_ADMIN to point to the tnsnames.ora that you want to use; that way, you just update one. I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back