Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie - SQL connection to Sybase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nozy

Technical User
Jun 13, 2001
GB
Greetings all

Need some help or a pointer in the right direction, since not being a DB expert.

Working on a project, where an application needs to connect to a database. The easy part is it can be done very easly, only problem is that it will only use MS SQL. Requirements are that it should connect to Sybase ver12. I have two questions ??.

1 - If I use MS SQL server with the application as a middle ware, Is it possible for me to connect to Sybase.

Application <---> MS SQL <---> Sybase

Also how would I be able to keep the two in syc (tables) with each other.

2 - (Stupid question) is there an ODBC driver that would enable me to connect stright from the application to sybase (middleware).

Cheers
All

Your first question: This seems needlessly complicated and I don't think SQL Server could manage it anyway.

Second: Yes. Sybase provide Windows compatible ODBC software which allows you to connect straight to Sybase using ODBC. I've been using it for years.

If you have the Sybase install disks you may find software for Windows on there. If not check out the Sybase website or contact your Sybase support person (if you have one).

Regards,
JJayUK

Hello

Is it possilbe for SQL to share same tables as Sybase.

Cheers

You can link the Sybase Server into SQL Server. SQL BOL has details about linked servers.

Configuring Linked Servers

sp_addlinkedserver

You can update Sysbase tables from SQL Server using the linked server. You can use distributed transactions where updates take place on both servers in the same transaction or you can replicate data provided you use a compatible OLE DB provider or ODBC driver. If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Cheers

It was just the answer that I was looking for.

NOZY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back