Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie review and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbm23

Programmer
Mar 4, 2003
US
Hello everyone,

First post here so bear with me. I am in the process of reviewing Actuate as a reporting tool and need some documentation for compaison with Crystal and/or other tools such as Bus. Objects or others. We will most likely choose Actuate for our new reporting platform(since we already own the server license), but I have to present the options anyhow.

Secondly, I would like to know hear what training options are the best. I am a seasoned programmer and been round the proverbial programming block, but have not dealt with Actuate at all.

Finally a few other questions - I have read that Acutate does not support stored procedures. Is this correct? What about connectivity - we are evaluating two database options for the software(DB2 and Oracle). Please give me any insight you have with connectivity issues with either DB platform.

Thanks to all that can help.......

JBM...

You might want to have to vendors come in and do a proof-of-concept to showcase the flexibility of Actuate. Let the business users pick a couple of reports and do a bake off. Let the vendors come in and do some work. The fact that you already own Actuate may or may not prove to be the deciding factor... but is definately one more thing to consider. (Also sometimes already owning the "competitors" product can work to your advantage of other discounts.)

My $.02,

--dtaylor92

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back