Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie report question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyK

Programmer
Mar 28, 2002
US
hi all. i'm sure to you experienced folks this is a real newbie question but for me it's giving me a huge headache. i need to create a report showing various revenue components for our field offices. the problem is that i need every office on the same report. for instance I want something like this:

Atlanta Chicago Cincinnati ....
Rail Pay $3,000 $4,000 $5,000
Broker Pay 5,000 6,000 7,000

if i add groupings for City, it ends up printing each city on a separate page. but i don't exactly want a crosstab query because Rail Pay, Broker Pay, etc. are all calculated from the underlying select query and there are simply too many calculated fields to make sense enough to create a query. I want to base the report on my raw data (the select query) but when I try to enter SQL into the text boxes, they show as #name? on the report. My SQL looks something like "SELECT [BrokerRev] where [City] = 'Atlanta'. I have Msowcf.dll installed so this is not the problem. Also, when I tried to create a dummy crosstab query, I got the error "the microsoft jet database engine does not recognize '[forms]![fmnuMain]![cboMonth]' as a valid field name or expression" because my select query uses embedded queries which pull the month from my main form. Is there a way to get the SQL to work or am I really going to have to create a complex query with 100+ calculations to get it to show on a report? Thanks in advance for help.

I'm not 100% sure I;ve understood what you want and am far from being an expert myself, but a couple of comments that may help:
'if i add groupings for City, it ends up printing each city on a separate page.'- this should not happen unless Access has been instructed to do it. Look at the sorting/grouping for your report- if you add a geoup header for city there is an option below this for forcing a new page or not...

As for the date problem, I often have this problem with crosstabs etc and have got around it in the past by using a maketable query, with your date criteria in it, to create a temporary table on which you can then base your other queries and calculations.

Hope this helps a bit

Nigel

Hi Kelly,

This sounds complex.
Can you email me your .mdb file and I will see what I can do.
I create reports like this all the time.

Cheers,
AnalystDBA
alc_consulting@optusnet.com.au

Thank you very much Nigel and AnalystDBA! I've decided to populate each of the fields on the report through VBA code. I can't change the values of text boxes and such for a report at runtime (or can you and I'm missing something?) so I decided to create a form and populate the fields using recordsets based on my original query. It doesn't look quite as slick as a nice report, but since I'm getting a working product I'm going with it until I develop my Access skills a little more. Thanks for the help! [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back